Examining and Organizing the Spatial Development Pattern of Shiraz City using Shannon Entropy and Heldren Models
Morteza Yavari1, Fazlollah Karimi Ghotbabadi2, Mohammad Rezaei Afkham3
1Morteza Yavari, Academic Member of Zabol University, Department of Urban Planning, Faculty of Art and Architecture, University of Zabol, Zabol, Iran.
2Fazlollah Karimi Ghotbabadi, Ph.D Student, Department of Geography and Urban Planning, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran.
3Mohammad Rezaei Afkham, Academic Member of Zabol University, Department of Architecture, Faculty of Art and Architecture, University of Zabol, Zabol, Iran.
Manuscript received on 21 September 2019 | Revised Manuscript received on 06 October 2019 | Manuscript Published on 11 October 2019 | PP: 716-721 | Volume-8 Issue-2S10 September 2019 | Retrieval Number: B11280982S1019/2019©BEIESP | DOI: 10.35940/ijrte.B1128.0982S1019
Open Access | Editorial and Publishing Policies | Cite | Mendeley | Indexing and Abstracting
© The Authors. Blue Eyes Intelligence Engineering and Sciences Publication (BEIESP). This is an open access article under the CC-BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Abstract: Today, physical growth and spatial development without urban plans are inevitable due to population growth and increasing migration, which in some cities has caused the city sprawl and disrupt the city and degrade its environment. Therefore, it recognizes the spatial and physical development of the city as well as presents a pattern It is considered as one of the most important issues facing urban planners for the future of metropolitan cities, in order to guide it towards sustainable urban development. A model that identifies the directions of physical extension of the city, land use, physical form, and spatial distribution of activities in order to minimize damage to agricultural and environmental land around the city. Shiraz city has experienced five different structure along its life.the existence of different structures in Shiraz caused the observation of multiple patterns of development in it. Accordingly, the purpose of this research is to identify, analyze and organize the spatial development pattern of the city of Shiraz. The research methodology is applied based on its nature, descriptive-analytical, and in terms of its purpose. The data and information needed to conduct the research was collected through library studies and field operations, and then the obtained data were analyzed based on Shannon and Heldren entropy models. Surveying the results of this work shows that in the period of 1385-95, 59% of its growth has been due to population growth and the remaining 41%, due to horizontal and sprawl growth, which has resulted in decrease in grass population concentration and increase in gross capitation of town land. So, in order to prevent inefficient use of urban lands and reduce the costs of creating infrastructure and facilities and urban amenities and achieving sustainable urban development, the proposed model for physical development of the city of Shiraz is a compact city model, which, given the existing capacities and potentials, It can be used in the city.
Keywords: Physical Development, Urban Growth Pattern, Shannon Entropy, Heldren Model, Shiraz.
Scope of the Article: Pattern Recognition