Abstract: Nowadays, the polymer matrix fiber reinforced composites have greater attention of many important manufacturing sectors particularly construction, automotive and packaging industries due to its low density, good mechanical and better tribological properties. Recently, the coconut fiber reinforced composites have replaced the most widely used synthetic fiber (Glass, Kevlar) reinforced polymer composites in many applications. In the present study, the polymer matrix composites were prepared and developed through hand layup process with treated short coconut fiber. Composite specimens were prepared according to the ASTM Standard G-99 and the wear tests were conducted on the Pin-On-Disk wear testing machine. The experiments were carried out according to the central composite second order rotatable design. Optimization has been carried out using Response surface methodology (RSM). The morphology of worn surfaces was examined through scanning electron microscope (SEM) and various wear mechanisms were discussed.
Keywords: Friction coefficient, Wear Rate, Polyamide, Coconut fiber, Pin On Disc.
1. K. G. Satyanarayana, G.G.C. Arizaga, F. Wypych, ‘'Biodegradable composites based on lingo cellulosic fibers an overview’’, Progress in Polymer Science, 34, 2009, pp 982–1021.
2. S. Mukhopadhyaya, R. Srikanta, “Effect of ageing of sisal fibres on properties of sisal Polypropylene composites”, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 93, 2008, pp 2048–2051.
3. H. Larbig, H. Scherzer, B. Dahlke, R. Pol-trock, “Natural fiber reinforced foams based on renewable resources for automotive interior applications”, J. Cell. Plast, 34, 1998, pp 361–379.
4. A.M. Eleiche, G.M.Amin, “The effect of unidirectional cotton fibre reinforcement on the friction and wear characteristics of polyester”, Wear, 112, 1986, pp 67-78.
5. U. Nirmala, B.F. Yousif, D.Rilling, P.V. Brevern, “Effect of betelnutfibres treatment and contact conditions on adhesive wear and frictional performance of polyester composites”, Wear. 268, 2010, pp 1354–1370.
6. N.S.M. El-Tayeb, “A study on the potential of sugarcane fibers/polyester composite for tribological applications”, Wear. 265, 2008, pp 223–235.
7. R. Gujjala, S.Ojha, SK Acharya, SK Pal, “'Mechanical properties of woven Jute glass hybrid reinforced epoxy composite", Journal of Composite Materials, 20, 2013, pp 1–11.
8. H. U. Zaman, A. H. Khan, M. A. Hossain, M. A. Khan, R. A. Khan, “Mechanical and Electrical Properties of Jute Fabrics Reinforced Polyethylene Polypropylene Composites: Role of Gamma Radiation”, Polymer Plastics Technology and Engineering, 48, 2009, pp 760–766.
9. G.Fang, Z.Zhaozhu, Z. Huijuan, W.Kun, J.Wei, “Tribological behavior of spun Kevlar fabric composites filled with fluorinated Compounds”, Tribology International, 43, 2010, pp 1466–1471.
10. J. Sanes, F.J. Carri´on, A.E. Jim´enez, M.D. Bermudez, “Influence of temperature on PA 6–steel contacts in the presence of an ionic liquid lubricant”, Wear, 98, 2011, pp 01-05.
11. P. K. Bajpai, I. Singh, J.Madaan, “Tribological behavior of natural fiber reinforced PLA composites”, Wear, 297, 2013, pp 829–840.
12. J. Wu, X.H. Cheng, “The tribological properties of Kevlar pulp reinforced epoxy composites under dry sliding and water lubricated condition”, Wear, 261, 2006, 1293–1297.
13. P. L. Menezes, P. K. Rohatgi, M.R. Lovell, “Studies on the tribological behavior of natural fiber reinforced polymer composites”, Green Tribology,Green Energy and Technology, 124, 2010, pp 231-238.
14. M.Punyapriya,"Statistical analysis for the abrasive wear behavior of bagasse fiber reinforced polymer composite”, International Journal of Applied Research in Mechanical Engineering, 2, 2012, pp 2231 –2239.
15. B.Witold, K.Vera, V.Domagoj, W.Jenna, “Tribology of polymers and polymer-based composites”, Journal of Materials Education, 32, 2010, pp 273 – 290.
16. S.Bahadur., “The development of transfer layers and their role in polymer tribology”, J. Wear, 245, 2000, pp 92–99.
17. S.Bahadur, and V.K.Polineni, “Tribological studies of glass fabric reinforced polyamide composites ﬁlled with CuO and PTFE”, J. Wear 200, 1996, pp 95–104.
18. A.A.Cenna, P. Dastoor, and A. Beehag, “Effects of graphite particle addition upon the abrasive wear of polymer surfaces”, J. Material Science 36, 2001, pp 891–900.
19. D.Hayrettin, “PA 66 spur gear durability improvement with tooth width modification”, J. Material Design 30, 2009, pp 1060–1067.
20. D.C.Montgomery., “Design and analysis of experiments”, 4th ed. (John Wiley Sons, New York, 1997.
21. R. Jyoti, N. Sankar, C. and Harish, ‘'Effect of Fiber Content on Abrasive Wear Behavior of Date Palm Leaf Reinforced Polyvinyl Pyrrolidone Composite’’, International
Journal of Tribology, 56, 2014, pp 01-10
22. S. Supreeth, B. Vinod, J. SudevLi, and Z. N Liang, "Influence of Fiber Length on the Tribological Behaviour of Short PALF Reinforced Bisphenol-A Composite”, International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science, 2, 2014, pp 825-830.
23. Vivek Mishra, and Sandhyarani Biswas, "Physical, mechanical and abrasive wear behavior of jute fiber reinforced polymer composites”, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, India, 2014, pp 120-135.
24. Vivek Mishra, and Sandhyarani Biswas, "Physical, mechanical and abrasive wear behavior of jute fiber reinforced polymer composites”, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, India, 2014, pp 120-135.
25. Narish Singh, Yousif, and Dirk, “Tribological characteristics of sustainable fiber-Rerinforced thermoplastic composites under wet adhesive wear”, Tribology Transactions,
54, 2011, pp 736-748.
26. K. Pramendra, Inderdeep Singh, and Jitendra Madaan, “Frictional and adhesive wear performance of natural fibre reinforced polypropylene composites", Engineering Tribology, 227, 2012, pp 385-392.
27. P. K. Bajpai, I. Singh, and J. Madaan, “Frictional and Adhesive Wear Performance of Natural Fibre Reinforced Polypropylene Composites’'. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 227, 2012, pp 385-392.
28. S. R. Chauhan, B. Gaur, and K. Dass, “Effect of Microsize Particulates on Tribological Characteristics of Vinylester Composites Under Dry and Lubricated Conditions”, Journal of Material Science and Engineering, 2:117, 2013, pp 4172-4184.
29. B. Aldousiri, A. Shalwan, and C. W. Chin, “A Review on Tribological Behaviour of Polymeric Composites and Future Reinforcements’’, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 475, 2013, pp 1-8.
30. H. Dhieb, J. Buijnsters, and J. P. Celis, "Degradation of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composites Under Sliding in Ambient Air’’, Sustainable Construction and Design, 2, 2011, pp 53-58.
31. R. Ibrahem, ‘'Friction and Wear Behaviour of Fibre / Particles Reinforced Polyester Composites”, International Journal of Advanced Materials Research, 2, 2006, pp. 22-26.
32. K. H. Z. Gahr, “Microstructure and Wear of Materials", Tribology Elsevier Science Publishers, 10, 1987, pp 436-448.
33. P. K. Bajpai, L. Singh, J. Madaan, “Frictional and Adhesive Wear Performance of Natural Fibre Reinforced Polypropylene Composites”. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 227, 2012, pp 385-392.
34. Y. Z. Wan, G. C. Chen, “Friction and wear behavior of three-dimensional braided carbon fiber/epoxy composites under dry sliding conditions”, Wear, 260, 2006, pp 933-941.